I don't always agree with it, or with the things that it does. I may even think it's dull at times and stupid beyond belief. But as the sibling- I'm the only one allowed to pick on it. If you mess with my big brother I will mess with you. Sure I may agree with you, but it's not your place. You don't see me picking on your older sibling- talking about how when it was a kid it spent much of it's time bullying others, picking on the weaker or using a magnifying glass to scorch the feelers off of a particular type of insect. No. I don't. Because I didn't grow up with your sibling. I don't know everything about it, and what it was like to grow up in that enviroment. I'm not qualified to judge.
I've spent my life growing up with my sibling. I know him. I've spent years talking with him, laughing with him, and getting into trouble with him. I know his faults, his failures, his successes, and his strengths. I know he's not perfect, but he's the only one I have- will ever have.
It doesn't matter that I haven't seen him in five months, it doesn't matter that I'm thinking about not seeing him for a few years. He's still my sibling- America is still my home. If you don't like that- kiss my ass.
I also want to add that while you may have been to NYC or LA or Las Vegas and so you think you know America. You don't. That's like going to London, Paris or Munich and deciding that all of England, France or Germany is the exact same way. How wrong would I would been to have come to Germany believing that all Germans eat bratwurst and sourkraut, drink warm beer, wear lederhosen and have no sense of humor. Generalizing a country by a quick trip to one city not only makes you ill informed, it also makes you stupid. When you have visited: Stilwell, Kansas- Spearfish, South Dakota- Nevada, Missouri- or yes, even Toadsuck, Arkansas. Then we can talk.
(This post is prompted by several people, not one. It's become a source of irritation and frustration for me, so you guys get to suffer the consequences.)
Rant Complete


No comments:
Post a Comment