Barcelona was okay. I wasn't actually that impressed. No wait, correction. Sangrada Familia impressed me, but the city itself did not, nor did the people. Most of whom were very rude about me not knowing any Spanish. Worse than that, I didn't know Catalan which is what they speak in that area- even if I didn't know Spanish, it is barely tolerated there. Which makes being a tourist very difficult.
Worse than that though, is that I stayed in a hostal, and while I've normally had good experiences from this, this time I had a roommate who took over the room and when she lost her battery charger she began to go through my things trying to find it. That and the fact that she picked up my bra from my suitcase and made exclaimations of astonishment over the size did not win her any points with me. I mean, really- how rude.
But here is my top 5 favorite things that I did like about Barcelona.
1. Sangrada Familia- truly amazing church that they have been working on forever. Gaudi really out did himself. It's not expected to be finished for another 50 years.
2. La Boqueria- an outdoor market which had everything from fresh fruit juices of EVERY kind, bags of snails, skinned rabbits with white eyes staring scarily eeriely at me, fresh fruit and veggies. It was really amazing. I was even able to get fresh cooked food that was native to the Barcelona area.
3. Barceloneta- A beach that I strolled along, collecting seashells and stones. I did stay out of the water this time. I learned my lesson in Sicily.
4. Gelato- heeheehee
5. Las Ramblas- A street lined with stores and filled with sidewalk performers, flower stands, artists, and fold-up pet stores selling fish, rabbits, mice, birds, chickens and supplies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
HEY THERE!
I am so glad you're having a good time, well, most of the time it sounds like anyway. Barcelona! How fun! T-T I miss Europe now. I'm sorry we couldn't get together when you were here, but you'll be back (eventually).
Weather here feels like spring - 70 degrees with a wind advisory. Yep, KS.
Have molecular cell biology (uck) to study. Hope I pass this class decently, that's all I ask, really.
Ciao hun! And I'll try to comment much more often.
Post a Comment